Pronunciation: (ä' lä, ä' lu; Fr. a la), [key]
1. according to; in the manner of: a short poem à la Ogden Nash.
a. prepared in the manner of, to the taste of, or by: chicken à la provençale.
b. prepared with the ingredient of. Also,a la.
Pronunciation: (ā'lu), [key]
—pl. a•laePronunciation: (ā'lē). [key]
1. a wing.
2. a winglike part, process, or expansion, as of a bone, shell, seed, or stem.
3. either of the two side petals of a flower in the legume family, as the pea.
4. (in an ancient Roman house) a small room, as an alcove, opening into a larger room or courtyard.
Pronunciation: (ä'lä), [key]
Hus•sein Pronunciation: (hoo-sān'), [key] 1888–1964, Iranian statesman and diplomat: premier in 1951 and from 1955 to 1957.
1. American Library Association.
2. Associate in Liberal Arts.
3. Authors League of America.
4. Automobile Legal Association.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.