Pronunciation: (u-ban'dun), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/abandon.html on line 83 [key]
1. to leave completely and finally; forsake utterly; desert: to abandon one's farm; to abandon a child; to abandon a sinking ship.
2. to give up; discontinue; withdraw from: to abandon a research project; to abandon hopes for a stage career.
3. to give up the control of: to abandon a city to an enemy army.
4. to yield (oneself) without restraint or moderation; give (oneself) over to natural impulses, usually without self-control: to abandon oneself to grief.
5. Law.to cast away, leave, or desert, as property or a child.
6. Insurance.to relinquish (insured property) to the underwriter in case of partial loss, thus enabling the insured to claim a total loss.
7. Obs.to banish.
Pronunciation: (u-ban'dun), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/abandon.html on line 135 [key]
a complete surrender to natural impulses without restraint or moderation; freedom from inhibition or conventionality: to dance with reckless abandon.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.