Pronunciation: (u-buv'), [key]
1. in, at, or to a higher place.
2. overhead, upstairs, or in the sky: My brother lives in the apartment above. A flock of birds circled above.
3. higher in rank, authority, or power: She was told to speak to the person above.
4. higher in quantity or number: books with 100 pages and above.
5. before or earlier, esp. in a book or other piece of writing; foregoing: the remark quoted above. Cf. below (def. 6).
6. in or to heaven: gone to her eternal rest above.
7. Zool.on the upper or dorsal side.
8. Theat.upstage. Cf. below (def. 9).
9. higher than zero on the temperature scale: The temperature dropped to ten above this morning.
1. in or to a higher place than; over: to fly above the clouds; the floor above ours.
2. more in quantity or number than; in excess of: all girls above 12 years of age; The weight is above a ton.
3. superior in rank, authority, or standing to: A captain is above a lieutenant.
4. not subject or liable to; not capable of (some undesirable action, thought, etc.): above suspicion; to be above bad behavior.
5. of too fine a character for: He is above such trickery.
6. rather than; in preference to: to favor one child above the other.
7. beyond, esp. north of: six miles above Baltimore.
8. Theat.upstage of.
9. above all, most important of all; principally: charity above all.
said, mentioned, or written above; foregoing: the above explanation.
1. something that was said, mentioned, or written above: to refer to the above.
2. the person or persons previously indicated: The above will all stand trial.
3. heaven: truly a gift from above.
4. a higher authority: an order from above.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.