Pronunciation: (u-brupt'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/abrupt.html on line 77 [key]
1. sudden or unexpected: an abrupt departure.
2. curt or brusque in speech, manner, etc.: an abrupt reply.
3. terminating or changing suddenly: an abrupt turn in a road.
4. having many sudden changes from one subject to another; lacking in continuity or smoothness: an abrupt writing style.
5. steep; precipitous: an abrupt descent.
6. Bot.truncate (def. 4).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.