Pronunciation: (ab-sôrp'shun, -zôrp'-), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/absorption.html on line 73 [key]
1. the act of absorbing.
2. the state or process of being absorbed.
3. assimilation; incorporation: the absorption of small farms into one big one.
4. uptake of substances by a tissue, as of nutrients through the wall of the intestine.
5. a taking in or reception by molecular or chemical action, as of gases or liquids.
6. Physics.the removal of energy or particles from a beam by the medium through which the beam propagates.
7. complete attention or preoccupation; deep engrossment: absorption in one's work.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.