Pronunciation: (ak-sel'u-rāt"), [key]
—v., -at•ed, -at•ing.
1. to cause faster or greater activity, development, progress, advancement, etc., in: to accelerate economic growth.
2. to hasten the occurrence of: to accelerate the fall of a government.
3. Mech.to change the velocity of (a body) or the rate of (motion); cause to undergo acceleration.
4. to reduce the time required for (a course of study) by intensifying the work, eliminating detail, etc.
1. to move or go faster; increase in speed.
2. to progress or develop faster.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.