Pronunciation: (ak'si-dunt), [key]
1. an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap: automobile accidents.
2. Law.such a happening resulting in injury that is in no way the fault of the injured person for which compensation or indemnity is legally sought.
3. any event that happens unexpectedly, without a deliberate plan or cause.
4. chance; fortune; luck: I was there by accident.
5. a fortuitous circumstance, quality, or characteristic: an accident of birth.
6. Philos.any entity or event contingent upon the existence of something else.
7. Geol.a surface irregularity, usually on a small scale, the reason for which is not apparent.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.