Pronunciation: (u-kred'it), [key]
1. to ascribe or attribute to (usually fol. by with): He was accredited with having said it.
2. to attribute or ascribe; consider as belonging: an invention accredited to Edison.
3. to provide or send with credentials; designate officially: to accredit an envoy.
4. to certify (a school, college, or the like) as meeting all formal official requirements of academic excellence, curriculum, facilities, etc.
5. to make authoritative, creditable, or reputable; sanction.
6. to regard as true; believe.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.