Pronunciation: (ak-nol'ij), [key]
—v.t., -edged, -edg•ing.
1. to admit to be real or true; recognize the existence, truth, or fact of: to acknowledge one's mistakes.
2. to show or express recognition or realization of: to acknowledge an acquaintance by nodding.
3. to recognize the authority, validity, or claims of: The students acknowledged the authority of the student council.
4. to show or express appreciation or gratitude for: to acknowledge a favor.
5. to indicate or make known the receipt of: to acknowledge a letter.
6. to take notice of or reply to: to acknowledge a greeting.
7. Law.to confirm as binding or of legal force: to acknowledge a deed.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.