Pronunciation: (u-just'), [key]
1. to change (something) so that it fits, corresponds, or conforms; adapt; accommodate: to adjust expenses to income.
2. to put in good working order; regulate; bring to a proper state or position: to adjust an instrument.
3. to settle or bring to a satisfactory state, so that parties are agreed in the result: to adjust our differences.
4. Insurance.to determine the amount to be paid in settlement of (a claim).
5. to systematize.
6. Mil.to correct the elevation or deflection of (a gun).
to adapt oneself; become adapted: They had no problems in adjusting at the new school.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.