Pronunciation: (ad'vur-ser"ē), [key]
—n., pl. -sar•ies,
1. a person, group, or force that opposes or attacks; opponent; enemy; foe.
2. a person, group, etc., that is an opponent in a contest; contestant.
3. the Adversary,the devil; Satan.
—adj. Also, esp. Brit.,ad•ver•sar•i•alPronunciation: (ad"vur•sâr'ē•ul). [key]
1. of or pertaining to an adversary.
2. involving adversaries, as plaintiff and defendant in a legal proceeding: an adversary trial.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.