Pronunciation: (ad-vī'zu-rē), [key]
—adj., n., pl. -ries.
1. of, giving, or containing advice: an advisory letter from a stockbroker.
2. having the power or duty to advise: an advisory council.
1. a report on existing or predicted conditions, often with advice for dealing with them: an investment advisory.
2. an announcement or bulletin that serves to advise and usually warn the public, as of some potential hazard: a health advisory; a travelers' advisory.
3. an announcement from the U.S. National Weather Service to keep the public informed about the progress of a potentially dangerous weather condition: hurricane advisory; tornado advisory. Cf. warning (def. 3), watch (def. 23).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.