Pronunciation: (es-thet'ik or, esp. Brit., ēs-), [key]
1. pertaining to a sense of the beautiful or to the science of aesthetics.
2. having a sense of the beautiful; characterized by a love of beauty.
3. pertaining to, involving, or concerned with pure emotion and sensation as opposed to pure intellectuality.
1. a philosophical theory or idea of what is aesthetically valid at a given time and place: the clean lines, bare surfaces, and sense of space that bespeak the machine-age aesthetic.
3. Archaic.the study of the nature of sensation. Also,esthetic.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.