Pronunciation: (u-fâr'), [key]
1. anything done or to be done; anything requiring action or effort; business; concern: an affair of great importance.
2. affairs,matters of commercial or public interest or concern; the transactions of public or private business or finance: affairs of state; Before taking such a long trip you should put all your affairs in order.
3. an event or a performance; a particular action, operation, or proceeding: When did this affair happen?
4. thing; matter (applied to anything made or existing, usually with a descriptive or qualifying term): Our new computer is an amazing affair.
5. a private or personal concern; a special function, business, or duty: That's none of your affair.
6. an intense amorous relationship, usually of short duration.
7. an event or happening that occasions or arouses notoriety, dispute, and often public scandal; incident: the Congressional bribery affair.
8. a party, social gathering, or other organized festive occasion: The awards ceremony is the biggest affair on the school calendar.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.