Pronunciation: (u-fûr'mu-tiv), [key]
1. affirming or assenting; asserting the truth, validity, or fact of something.
2. expressing agreement or consent; assenting: an affirmative reply.
3. positive; not negative.
4. Logic.noting a proposition in which a property of a subject is affirmed, as “All men are happy.”
1. something that affirms or asserts; a positive statement or proposition; affirmation.
2. a reply indicating assent, as Yes or I do.
3. a manner or mode that indicates assent: a reply in the affirmative.
4. the side, as in a debate, that affirms or defends a statement that the opposite side denies or attacks: to speak for the affirmative.
(used to indicate agreement, assent, etc.): “Is this the right way to Lake George?” “Affirmative.”
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.