1. to fasten, join, or attach (usually fol. by to): to affix stamps to a letter.
2. to put or add on; append: to affix a signature to a contract.
3. to impress (a seal or stamp).
4. to attach (blame, reproach, ridicule, etc.).
1. something that is joined or attached.
2. Gram.a bound inflectional or derivational element, as a prefix, infix, or suffix, added to a base or stem to form a fresh stem or a word, as -ed added to want to form wanted, or im- added to possible to form impossible. Cf. combining form.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.