Pronunciation: (u-līn'munt), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/alignment.html on line 75 [key]
1. an adjustment to a line; arrangement in a straight line.
2. the line or lines so formed.
3. the proper adjustment of the components of an electronic circuit, machine, etc., for coordinated functioning: The front wheels of the car are out of alignment.
4. a state of agreement or cooperation among persons, groups, nations, etc., with a common cause or viewpoint.
5. a ground plan of a railroad or highway.
6. Archaeol.a line or an arrangement of parallel or converging lines of upright stones or menhirs. Also,alinement.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.