Pronunciation: (al'i-gā"tur), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/alligator.html on line 73 [key]
1. either of two broad-snouted crocodilians of the genus Alligator, of the southeastern U.S. and eastern China.
2. (loosely) any broad-snouted crocodilian, as a caiman.
3. Metall.a machine for bringing the balls of iron from a puddling furnace into compact form so that they can be handled.
4. Jazz.an enthusiastic fan of swing.
1. (of paint, varnish, or the like) to crack and acquire the appearance of alligator hide, as from weathering or improper application to a surface.
2. Metalworking.(of a rolled metal slab) to split and curl up and down at one end; fishmouth.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.