Pronunciation: (al-pak'u), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/alpaca.html on line 73 [key]
1. a domesticated South American hoofed mammal, Lama pacos, having long, soft, silky fleece, related to the llama and believed to be a variety of the guanaco.
2. the fleece of this animal.
3. a fabric or yarn made of it.
4. a glossy, commonly black woolen fabric with cotton warp.
5. a crepe fabric made of rayon and acetate yarn in imitation of alpaca wool cloth.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.