Pronunciation: (al'pīn, -pin), [key]
1. of, pertaining to, on, or part of any lofty mountain.
2. very high; elevated.
3. (cap.) of, pertaining to, on, or part of the Alps.
4. Bot.growing on mountains above the limit of tree growth: alpine plants.
5. (often cap.) of or pertaining to downhill skiing or a competitive downhill skiing event. Cf. Nordic (def. 3).
6. (cap.) Anthropol.having the features characteristic of an Alpine.
(cap.) Anthropol.a member of a Caucasoid people found in central Europe and characterized by heavy body build, medium complexion, and straight to wavy hair.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.