Pronunciation: (ôl'tur), [key]
1. an elevated place or structure, as a mound or platform, at which religious rites are performed or on which sacrifices are offered to gods, ancestors, etc.
2. Eccles.See communion table.
3. (cap.) Astron.the constellation Ara.
4. (in a dry dock) a ledge for supporting the feet of shorings.
5. lead to the altar, to marry: After a five-year courtship, he led her to the altar.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.