Pronunciation: (al'ti-tOOd", -tyOOd"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/altitude.html on line 77 [key]
1. the height of anything above a given planetary reference plane, esp. above sea level on earth.
2. extent or distance upward; height.
3. Astron.the angular distance of a heavenly body above the horizon.
a. the perpendicular distance from the vertex of a figure to the side opposite the vertex.
b. the line through the vertex of a figure perpendicular to the base.
5. Usually, altitudes. a high place or region: mountain altitudes.
6. high or important position, rank, etc.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.