Pronunciation: (am; unstressed um, m), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/am.html on line 91 [key]
1st pers. sing. pres. indic. of be.
1. Asian Male.
2. Electronics.amplitude modulation: a method of impressing a signal on a radio carrier wave by varying its amplitude.
3. Radio.a system of broadcasting by means of amplitude modulation.
4. of, pertaining to, or utilizing such a system. Cf. FM
ampere per meter.
2. Master of Arts.
1. before noon.
2. the period from midnight to noon, esp. the period of daylight prior to noon: Shall we meet Saturday a.m.?
3. a morning newspaper, sometimes issued shortly before midnight. Cf. p.m.L ante merīdiem]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.