Pronunciation: (am'u-zon", -zun), [key]
1. a river in N South America, flowing E from the Peruvian Andes through N Brazil to the Atlantic Ocean: the largest river in the world in volume of water carried. 3900 mi. (6280 km) long.
2. Class. Myth.one of a race of female warriors said to dwell near the Black Sea.
3. one of a fabled tribe of female warriors in South America.
4. (often l.c.) a tall, powerful, aggressive woman.
5. See Amazon ant.
6. any of several green parrots of the genus Amazona, of tropical America, often kept as pets.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.