Pronunciation: (u-mung'), [key]
1. in, into, or through the midst of; in association or connection with; surrounded by: He was among friends.
2. in the midst of, so as to influence: missionary work among the local people.
3. with a share for each of: Divide the cigars among you.
4. in the number, class, or group of; of or out of: That is among the things we must do.
5. by all or with the whole of; by most or with many of: popular among the people.
6. by the joint or reciprocal action of: Settle it among yourselves.
7. each with the other; mutually: They quarreled among themselves.
8. familiar to or characteristic of: a proverb among the Spanish.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.