Pronunciation: (u-mount'), [key]
1. the sum total of two or more quantities or sums; aggregate.
2. the sum of the principal and interest of a loan.
3. quantity; measure: a great amount of resistance.
4. the full effect, value, or significance.
1. to total; add (usually fol. by to): The repair bill amounts to $300.
2. to reach, extend, or be equal in number, quantity, effect, etc.; be equivalent (usually fol. by to): It is stated differently but amounts to the same thing.
3. to develop into; become (usually fol. by to): With his intelligence, he should amount to something when he grows up.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.