Pronunciation: (am-fib'ē-us), [key]
1. living or able to live both on land and in water; belonging to both land and water.
2. Also,amphibian.capable of operating on both land and water: amphibious vehicles.
3. of or pertaining to military operations by both land and naval forces against the same object, esp. to a military attack by troops landed by naval ships.
4. trained or organized to fight, or fighting, on both land and sea: amphibious troops.
5. combining two qualities, kinds, traits, etc.; of or having a mixed or twofold nature.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.