Pronunciation: (an"am-nē'sis), [key]
—pl. -sesPronunciation: (-sēz). [key]
1. the recollection or remembrance of the past; reminiscence.
2. Platonism.recollection of the Ideas, which the soul had known in a previous existence, esp. by means of reasoning.
3. the medical history of a patient.
4. Immunol.a prompt immune response to a previously encountered antigen, characterized by more rapid onset and greater effectiveness of antibody and T cell reaction than during the first encounter, as after a booster shot in a previously immunized person.
5. (often cap.) a prayer in a Eucharistic service, recalling the Passion, Resurrection, and Ascension of Christ.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.