Pronunciation: (an-droj'u-nus), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/androgynous.html on line 77 [key]
1. being both male and female; hermaphroditic.
2. having both masculine and feminine characteristics.
3. having an ambiguous sexual identity.
4. neither clearly masculine nor clearly feminine in appearance: the androgynous look of many rock stars.
5. Bot.having staminate and pistillate flowers in the same inflorescence.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.