Pronunciation: (ang'glō-sak'sun), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/anglo-saxon.html on line 73 [key]
1. an English person of the period before the Norman Conquest.
2. See Old English (def. 1).
3. the original Germanic element in the English language.
4. plain and simple English, esp. language that is blunt, monosyllabic, and often rude or vulgar.
5. a person whose native language is English.
6. a person of English descent.
7. (in the U.S.) a person of colonial descent or British origin.
1. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the Anglo-Saxons.
2. of or pertaining to Anglo-Saxon.
3. English-speaking; British or American.
4. (of words, speech, or writing) blunt, monosyllabic, and often vulgar.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.