Pronunciation: (u-nī'u-lāt"), [key]
—v.t., -lat•ed, -lat•ing.
1. to reduce to utter ruin or nonexistence; destroy utterly: The heavy bombing almost annihilated the city.
2. to destroy the collective existence or main body of; wipe out: to annihilate an army.
3. to annul; make void: to annihilate a law.
4. to cancel the effect of; nullify.
5. to defeat completely; vanquish: Our basketball team annihilated the visiting team.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.