Pronunciation: (u-nouns'), [key]
—v., -nounced, -nounc•ing.
1. to make known publicly or officially; proclaim; give notice of: to announce a special sale.
2. to state the approach or presence of: to announce guests; to announce dinner.
3. to make known to the mind or senses.
4. to serve as an announcer of: The mayor announced the program.
5. to state; declare.
6. to state in advance; declare beforehand.
7. to write, or have printed, and send a formal declaration of an event, esp. a social event, as a wedding.
1. to be employed or serve as an announcer, esp. of a radio or television broadcast: She announces for the local radio station.
2. to declare one's candidacy, as for a political office (usually fol. by for): We are hoping that he will announce for governor.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.