Pronunciation: (āp), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/ape.html on line 75 [key]
—n., v., aped, ap•ing.
1. any of a group of anthropoid primates characterized by long arms, a broad chest, and the absence of a tail, comprising the family Pongidae (great ape), which includes the chimpanzee, gorilla, and orangutan, and the family Hylobatidae (lesser ape), which includes the gibbon and siamang.
2. (loosely) any primate except humans.
3. an imitator; mimic.
4. Informal.a big, ugly, clumsy person.
1. to imitate; mimic: to ape another's style of writing.
2. go ape, Slang.to become violently emotional: When she threatened to leave him, he went ape.
3. go ape over, Slang.to be extremely enthusiastic about: They go ape over old rock music.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.