Pronunciation: (u-pos'ul), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/apostle.html on line 79 [key]
1. any of the early followers of Jesus who carried the Christian message into the world.
2. (sometimes cap.) any of the original 12 disciples called by Jesus to preach the gospel: Simon Peter, the brothers James and John, Andrew, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James the son of Alpheus, Thaddaeus, Simon the Zealot, Judas Iscariot.
3. the first or the best-known Christian missionary in any region or country.
4. Eastern Ch.one of the 70 disciples of Jesus.
5. the title of the highest ecclesiastical official in certain Protestant sects.
6. (among the Jews of the Christian epoch) a title borne by persons sent on foreign missions.
7. one of the 12 administrative officials of the Mormon Church.
8. a pioneer of any reform movement.
9. Naut.a knighthead, esp. one having its top projecting and used as a bitt or bollard.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.