Pronunciation: (u-par'ul), [key]
—n., v., -eled, -el•ing or (esp. Brit.) -elled, -el•ling.
1. clothing, esp. outerwear; garments; attire; raiment.
2. anything that decorates or covers.
3. superficial appearance; aspect; guise.
4. Naut.the masts, sails, anchor, etc., used to equip a vessel.
5. Eccles.a piece of embroidery, usually oblong, on certain vestments, esp. on the alb or amice.
1. to dress or clothe.
2. to adorn; ornament.
3. Naut.to equip (a vessel) with apparel.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.