Pronunciation: (u-point'munt), [key]
1. a fixed mutual agreement for a meeting; engagement: We made an appointment to meet again.
2. a meeting set for a specific time or place: I'm late for my appointment.
3. the act of appointing, designating, or placing in office: to fill a vacancy by appointment.
4. an office, position, or the like, to which a person is appointed: He received his appointment as ambassador to Italy.
5. Usually, appointments. equipment, furnishings, or accouterments.
6. appointments,accouterments for a soldier or a horse.
7. Manège.a horse-show class in which the contestant need not be a member of a hunt but must wear regulation hunt livery. Cf. Corinthian (def. 9).
8. Archaic.decree; ordinance.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.