—adj., v., -at•ed, -at•ing.
1. suitable or fitting for a particular purpose, person, occasion, etc.: an appropriate example; an appropriate dress.
2. belonging to or peculiar to a person; proper: Each played his appropriate part.
1. to set apart, authorize, or legislate for some specific purpose or use: The legislature appropriated funds for the university.
2. to take to or for oneself; take possession of.
3. to take without permission or consent; seize; expropriate: He appropriated the trust funds for himself.
4. to steal, esp. to commit petty theft.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.