Pronunciation: (ärk'tik or, esp. for 7, är'tik), [key]
1. (often cap.) of, pertaining to, or located at or near the North Pole: the arctic region.
2. coming from the North Pole or the arctic region: an arctic wind.
3. characteristic of the extremely cold, snowy, windy weather north of the Arctic Circle; frigid; bleak: an arctic winter.
4. suitable for use in the arctic: arctic boots.
5. extremely cold in manner, atmosphere, etc.: a look of arctic disdain.
1. (often cap.) the region lying north of the Arctic Circle or of the northernmost limit of tree growth; the polar area north of the timber line.
2. arctics,warm, waterproof overshoes.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.