Pronunciation: (är'gus), [key]
1. Class. Myth.a giant with 100 eyes, set to guard the heifer Io: his eyes were transferred after his death to the peacock's tail.
2. a son of Phrixus and builder of the Argo.
3. (in the Odyssey) Odysseus' faithful dog, who recognized his master after twenty years and immediately died.
4. any observant or vigilant person; a watchful guardian.
5. (l.c.) Also,ar'gus pheas"ant.any of several brilliantly marked Malayan pheasants of the Argusianus or Rheinardia genera.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.