Pronunciation: (az; unstressed uz), [key]
1. to the same degree, amount, or extent; similarly; equally: I don't think it's as hot and humid today as it was yesterday.
2. for example; for instance: Some flowers, as the rose, require special care.
3. thought to be or considered to be: the square as distinct from the rectangle; the church as separate from the state.
4. in the manner (directed, agreed, promised, etc.): She sang as promised. He left as agreed.
5. as well. See well 1 (def. 11).
6. as well as. See well 1 (def. 12).
1. (used correlatively after an adjective or adverb prec. by an adverbial phrase, the adverbial as, or another adverb) to such a degree or extent that: It came out the same way as it did before. You are as good as you think you are.
2. (without antecedent) in the degree, manner, etc., of or that: She's good as gold. Do as we do.
3. at the same time that; while; when: as you look away.
4. since; because: As you are leaving last, please turn out the lights.
5. though: Questionable as it may be, we will proceed.
6. with the result or purpose: He said it in a voice so loud as to make everyone stare.
7. Informal.(in dependent clauses) that: I don't know as I do.
8. Midland and Southern U.S. and Brit. Dial.than.
9. as … as, (used to express similarity or equality in a specified characteristic, condition, etc., as between one person or thing and another): as rich as Croesus.
10. as far as, to the degree or extent that: It is an excellent piece of work, as far as I can tell.
11. as for or to,with respect to; in reference to: As for staying away, I wouldn't think of it.
12. as good as,
a. equivalent to; in effect; practically: as good as new.
b. true to; trustworthy as: as good as his word.
13. as how, Chiefly Midland and Southern U.S.that; if; whether: He allowed as how it was none of my business. I don't know as how I ought to interfere.
14. as if or though, as it would be if: It was as if the world had come to an end.
15. as is, in whatever condition something happens to be, esp. referring to something offered for sale in a flawed, damaged, or used condition: We bought the table as is.
16. as it were, in a way; so to speak: He became, as it were, a man without a country.
17. as long as. See long1 (def. 39).
18. as of, beginning on; on and after; from: This price is effective as of June 23.
19. as regards, with regard or reference to; concerning: As regards the expense involved, it is of no concern to him.
20. as such,
a. as being what is indicated; in that capacity: An officer of the law, as such, is entitled to respect.
b. in itself or in themselves: The position, as such, does not appeal to him, but the salary is a lure.
21. as yet, up to the present time; until now: As yet, no one has thought of a solution.
1. (used relatively) that; who; which (usually prec. by such or the same): I have the same trouble as you had.
2. a fact that: She did her job well, as can be proved by the records.
3. New England, Midland, and Southern U.S.who; whom; which; that: Them as has gets.
in the role, function, or status of: to act as leader.
Pronunciation: (as), [key]
—pl. as•sesPronunciation: (as'iz). [key]
1. a copper coin and early monetary unit of ancient Rome, originally having a nominal weight of a pound of 12 ounces: discontinued c80 b.c.
2. a unit of weight equal to 12 ounces.
1. American Samoa (approved esp. for use with zip code).
arsenic (def. 1).
var. of ad- before s: assert.
1. Associate in Science.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.