Pronunciation: (u-send'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/ascend.html on line 77 [key]
1. to move, climb, or go upward; mount; rise: The airplane ascended into the clouds.
2. to slant upward.
3. to rise to a higher point, rank, or degree; proceed from an inferior to a superior degree or level: to ascend to the presidency.
4. to go toward the source or beginning; go back in time.
5. Music.to rise in pitch; pass from any tone to a higher one.
1. to go or move upward upon or along; climb; mount: to ascend a lookout tower; to ascend stairs.
2. to gain or succeed to; acquire: to ascend the throne.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.