Pronunciation: (u-sent'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/ascent.html on line 73 [key]
1. an act of ascending; upward movement; a rising movement: the ascent of a balloon.
2. movement upward from a lower to a higher state, degree, grade, or status; advancement: His ascent to the governorship came after a long political career.
3. the act of climbing or traveling up: Three climbers attempted the ascent of Mount Rainier.
4. the way or means of ascending; upward slope; acclivity.
5. a movement or return toward a source or beginning.
6. the degree of inclination; gradient: a steep ascent.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.