—n.as'ā, a-sā'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/assay.html on line 79 [key]
1. to examine or analyze: to assay a situation; to assay an event.
2. Metall.to analyze (an ore, alloy, etc.) in order to determine the quantity of gold, silver, or other metal in it.
3. Pharm.to subject (a drug) to an analysis for the determination of its potency or composition.
4. to judge the quality of; assess; evaluate: to assay someone's efforts.
5. to try or test; put to trial: to assay one's strength; to assay one's debating abilities.
6. to attempt; try; essay: to assay a dance step.
to contain, as shown by analysis, a certain proportion of usually precious metal.
1. Metall.determination of the amount of metal, esp. gold or silver, in an ore, alloy, etc.
2. a substance undergoing analysis or trial.
3. a detailed report of the findings in assaying a substance.
4. Archaic.examination; trial; attempt; essay.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.