Pronunciation: (u-sīn'), [key]
1. to give or allocate; allot: to assign rooms at a hotel.
2. to give out or announce as a task: to assign homework.
3. to appoint, as to a post or duty: to assign one to guard duty.
4. to designate; name; specify: to assign a day for a meeting.
5. to ascribe; attribute; bring forward: to assign a cause.
6. Law.to transfer: to assign a contract.
7. Mil.to place permanently on duty with a unit or under a commander.
Law.to transfer property, esp. in trust or for the benefit of creditors.
Usually, assigns. Law.a person to whom the property or interest of another is or may be transferred; assignee: my heirs and assigns.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.