Pronunciation: (u-sīz'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/assize.html on line 73 [key]
1. Usually, assizes. a trial session, civil or criminal, held periodically in specific locations in England, usually by a judge of a superior court.
2. an edict, ordinance, or enactment made at a session of a legislative assembly.
3. an inquest before members of a jury or assessors; a judicial inquiry.
4. an action, writ, or verdict of an assize.
5. judgment: the last assize; the great assize.
6. a statute for the regulation and control of weights and measures or prices of general commodities in the market.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.