Pronunciation: (u-sō"sē-ā'shun, -shē-), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/association.html on line 77 [key]
1. an organization of people with a common purpose and having a formal structure.
2. the act of associating or state of being associated.
3. friendship; companionship: Their close association did not last long.
4. connection or combination.
5. the connection or relation of ideas, feelings, sensations, etc.; correlation of elements of perception, reasoning, or the like.
6. an idea, image, feeling, etc., suggested by or connected with something other than itself; an accompanying thought, emotion, or the like; an overtone or connotation: My associations with that painting are of springlike days.
7. Ecol.a group of plants of one or more species living together under uniform environmental conditions and having a uniform and distinctive aspect.
8. Chem.a weak form of chemical bonding involving aggregation of molecules of the same compound.
9. See touch football.
10. Astron.See stellar association.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.