Pronunciation: (u-sump'shun), [key]
1. something taken for granted; a supposition: a correct assumption.
2. the act of taking for granted or supposing.
3. the act of taking to or upon oneself.
4. the act of taking possession of something: the assumption of power.
5. arrogance; presumption.
6. the taking over of another's debts or obligations.
a. (often cap.) the bodily taking up into heaven of the Virgin Mary.
b. (cap.) a feast commemorating this, celebrated on August 15.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.