Pronunciation: (u-shoor'uns, -shûr'-), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/assurance.html on line 75 [key]
1. a positive declaration intended to give confidence: He received assurances of support for the project.
2. promise or pledge; guaranty; surety: He gave his assurance that the job would be done.
3. full confidence; freedom from doubt; certainty: to act in the assurance of success.
4. freedom from timidity; self-confidence; belief in one's abilities: She acted with speed and assurance.
5. presumptuous boldness; impudence.
6. Chiefly Brit.insurance.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.