Pronunciation: (u-shoor', u-shûr'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/assure.html on line 79 [key]
—v.t., -sured, -sur•ing.
1. to declare earnestly to; inform or tell positively; state with confidence to: She assured us that everything would turn out all right.
2. to cause to know surely; reassure: He assured himself that no one was left on the bus.
3. to pledge or promise; give surety of; guarantee: He was assured a job in the spring.
4. to make (a future event) sure; ensure: This contract assures the company's profit this month.
5. to secure or confirm; render safe or stable: to assure a person's position.
6. to give confidence to; encourage.
7. Chiefly Brit.to insure, as against loss.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.