Pronunciation: (u-strin'junt), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/astringent.html on line 79 [key]
1. Med.contracting; constrictive; styptic.
2. harshly biting; caustic: his astringent criticism.
3. stern or severe; austere.
4. sharply incisive; pungent: astringent wit.
1. Med.a substance that contracts the tissues or canals of the body, thereby diminishing discharges, as of mucus or blood.
2. a cosmetic that cleans the skin and constricts the pores.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.